- What does it mean hanky panky?
- What is a true blue?
- What does it mean to get ready?
- What does it mean to pay through the nose?
- What does 78 mean sexually?
- Where did the phrase hunky dory come from?
- Is there a finger in every pie sentence?
- What is the sentence of finger in the pie?
- What is the meaning of meddlesome?
- What does get real mean?
- What is meaning of get a life?
- What does panky mean?
- What does finger in the air mean?
- What is to eat a humble pie?
What does it mean hanky panky?
English Language Learners Definition of hanky-panky informal.
: sexual activity.
: dishonest or suspicious activity.
See the full definition for hanky-panky in the English Language Learners Dictionary..
What is a true blue?
English Language Learners Definition of true-blue US : completely faithful and loyal to a person or an idea. British, informal : loyal to the ideas of the British Conservative party.
What does it mean to get ready?
To prepare, to make ready or prepared. (intransitive) To prepare, to make oneself prepared.
What does it mean to pay through the nose?
Pay through the nose is an idiom which means to pay more than something is worth, to pay an exorbitant price. The origin of the phrase pay through the nose is quite murky, though it seems to be associated in some way to the paying of taxes.
What does 78 mean sexually?
78. SOS – Someone over shoulder.
Where did the phrase hunky dory come from?
The most durable and popular theory traces “hunky-dory” to a street called “Honcho-dori” in Yokohama, Japan, where sailors on shore leave found bars, nightclubs and the other sorts of things sailors on shore leave go looking for.
Is there a finger in every pie sentence?
If you say that someone has a finger in every pie, you mean they are involved in a lot of things. He very much likes to have a finger in every pie. He’s a man with fingers in a lot of pies.
What is the sentence of finger in the pie?
(1) She is always eager to have a finger in the pie if her neighbours are planning any little festivity. (2) Sally is always eager to have a finger in the pie if her neighbors are planning any little festivity . (3) She always have a finger in the pie if her neighbours are planning any little festivity.
What is the meaning of meddlesome?
: interfering with the activities and concerns of other people in an unwanted or unwelcome way : inclined to meddle. See the full definition for meddlesome in the English Language Learners Dictionary. meddlesome. adjective. med·dle·some | \ ˈme-dᵊl-səm \
What does get real mean?
informal. used for telling someone that they should try to understand the true facts of a situation and not hope for what is impossible: Get real! He’s never going to give you the money.
What is meaning of get a life?
Get a life is an idiom and catch phrase that has gained international usage. … It is intended as a taunt, to indicate that the person being so addressed is devoting an inordinate amount of time to someone else’s trivial matters.
What does panky mean?
1. Sexual activity, especially when considered inappropriate or done in secret. It’s an open secret in the office that a lot of hanky-panky goes on in the storage facility. 2. Devious, deceitful, or suspicious activity.
What does finger in the air mean?
You “get your finger in the air” means to “go with the crowd”, “go with the flow”. You want to see, where the wind is coming from – usually by wetting the finger before. A person “putting his finger in the air” is unlikely to come up with original, individual ideas or solutions.
What is to eat a humble pie?
To eat humble pie, in common usage, is to face humiliation and subsequently apologize for a serious mistake. Humble pie, or umble pie, is also a term for a variety of pastries based on medieval meat pies.